Thursday, June 26, 2008

Post Op

Monday June 23, 2008

It has now been 4 days since I had my surgery! I went into Vanderbilt on June 19th to have my leg amputated. I was so scared when we got there. We wasn't sitting out in the waiting room long before they called me back to the "holding room". That is where they got my iv started, and did a nerve block. Wow, did that nerve block hurt!! But once it kicked in, my whole leg from my thigh down was completely numb!
While I was in the holding room, everyone came back there to see me before I was wheeled to surgery. Barbara, Ike, Sandra, Jackii, Shirley, Andrew, Kay Kay, Dee Dee, Brother Jack, Sister June, April and of course mama and Tim was there to see me. I felt so loved!

When they took me to the OR, I really don't remember much! I remember them telling me they were putting oxygen on me, but that's all I remember lol. When I woke up in recovery, I really didn't know what to expect. I raised up, looked down at my leg and said "ok" then I laid back down and went back to sleep. It wasn't as bad as I thought.

When they took me from recovery, it was so sweet! Tim came up beside me, kissed me and handed me a vase with 2 roses in it! I was so happy to see him!

They got me to my room, but I don't really remember much about that lol. I know that Shirley, Jackii, Andrew, Kay Kay, Dee Dee, Donna Boggs, mama and Tim were there. But I don't remember when everyone left!

I woke up around 1:30 a.m. And I was so hungry! I asked the nurse for something to eat and she brought me a ham sandwich. And Tim had me a Mt.Dew waiting on me! Yay! He knows how I like my MT. Dews! After I ate, I went back to sleep.

Friday morning I woke up pretty early! I was ready to get up! Physical therapy came in and got me up on the walker. I was kind of scared to get up at first, but it was easier than I thought. Everyone was impressed at how well I did. The therapists kept telling me to slow down. If it has of been on crutches, I would have been able to go even faster, lol. I am a pro at them! I was so excited though to be up out of the bed and the first thing I did was went to the bathroom lol. I was so tired of having to use a bedpan!!! For some reason, I kept calling it a dustpan lol.

Donna came to visit and it was so nice to see her! She is such an inspiration to me. When she was 20, she was in a car accident and lost both of her legs. But she gets around so well, I would have never known that she is a double amputee!

Saturday, the Dr came in and said I was free to go home! Yay! I just had to wait on the physical therapists, so they could make sure I could make it up steps, and I had to wait on Dan, the orthopedic/prosthetic guy! Once all that was done, I was able to leave. But first, Dan came in and changed my dressing. I was a little scared to look, but I did. And it didn't look anywhere as bad as I thought it would!!

Once we got home, everyone here took such good care of me! The hour ride home did exhaust me though, so I had to take some medicine and go to bed!

Sunday, my mom and my aunt came over to clean for me! It was nice, but I felt bad just laying on the couch and not doing anything!

Today, I have been just lazing around! Julie is bringing supper over for us tonight. She is so sweet to do that!!!- Well it is now after supper...she brought me a nice salad, a lasagna and garlic bread. Oh and bless her heart, she even brought me some Mt. Dew!! So sweet!!!




Siggie

2 comments:

Pamela said...

Jennifer, that was so nice of Donna to come see you... and Julie better bring you your Mt Dew, LOL I'm glad to see you posting.. I hope you will LOVE your blog... I think maybe you need a chat box too, what do you think? I think it will be fun for you and your visitors to leave you some quick messages :)

Julie said...

Jennifer I know this new you is just going to be great!!! Just remember there are going to be a few bumps along the road. I love you and you are my hero!!!